Friday, December 11, 2009

Food for thought: passion fruit

The following is a racist entry based on a generalization... 

Passion. Thats what's missing from American culture. I finally put my finger on it after five years of feeling like something was missing.  

I went to see the Fine Art Museum in Buenos Aires, Argentina and it brought me to tears. There was something about the color and intensity of all the pieces that resonated so deeply with my heart. Argentenians (and Latin Americans in general) are such fiery, passionate people. They feel something and they express it. They build up simple things and live the drama. Spend a day with Argentenians and you will see that these people are interpersonally fascinated; the highs and lows of live in Argentina are experienced unabashedly.  

I think it took a trip to a culture where it was ok to express yourself in a colorful way for me to realize the thing that I have missed most  since moving to Los Angeles five years ago is some plain and simple passion around me. I miss the collective permission to express intensity. Albeit, Hollywood is a place where people make a good living of creative expression of emotional complexity. However I dont believe that American culture is at ease with this. I think people are comfortable with passivity due to a desire to fit in. 

Its no wonder that Americans suffer from the highest levels of depression and anxiety. They are bottling all their stuff up to stay normal. "Crazy" is the name people who are passionate are labelled in a country where no one speaks their mind. I think its sad that "crazy" has become synonymous with passionate. From personal observation I have learned that many Americans feel if they unleash a little passion in their lives they will self destruct. 

I have noticed a distinct difference between the blunt and honest expression  of Argentenians and people I know in LA. People here just say what they feel when they feel it. They are constantly in a flux of full fledged reaction without apology. I think Americans can learn so much from the Latins. Putting up a fight with some real Latin kinda gusto may be the only thing that bolsters the economy from insecurity. 

Im wondering if the pursuit of an artistic lifestyle requires a mandatory commitment to protecting passion at all cost. From what Im seeing its the difference between what's good and what sucks. Makes some sense. What makes the heart move is what keeps it going.  Do you agree with my theory? 

 

1 comment:

  1. You can blame American restraint on their protestant-calvinist heritage; self-control and modesty of spirit is considered righteousness. But compared to Canucks, American's are downright flamboyant; Canadians are so polite, don't-rock-the-boat types, almost British.

    But yeah, I do think passion is important in art; it can make good art better, but it can't substitute for good art itself.

    And does it always have to be a fiery Latin passion; couldn't it be quiet and smoldering, serene even?

    ReplyDelete