Sunday, December 6, 2009

A Return to Baking

I am inspired to bake cupcakes again. 

There is a craze in the United States of America right now. It is very cool to open a Food Truck business. A Food Truck is a restaurant or cafe on wheels. It parks off street for lunch or dinner hours and serves food to pedestrians at cheap prices. They come offering all sorts of inventive foods; Korean BBQ, Vietnamese, french fries and cookies, sweets, grilled cheese sandwiches and hotdogs. 

I had a cupcake from a Food Truck on Thursday evening and it blew my mind. During the 30 seconds that I consumed the cupcake I was just in awe at the skill of the baker who created it. I love simple pleasures like a tasty home baked dessert. The couple that owned the truck were aware of their talent in the baking department. They were this sweet Asian couple that were busy as bees flitting around making sure that cupcakes were coming out of the ovens in perfect timing and that icing was being completed simultaneously. There was so much love going into the careful decoration of each individual patty to ensure it looked appetizing to the customer. I noticed the customers that were lining up to purchase their delectable offerings were also as pleased with the cupcakes as me. The people who owned the truck looked so proud of their business and happy to serve the people who wanted them. 

The whole experience of watching this shook my heart. I want a slice of the pleasure that this woman took from baking cupcakes. I want to serve people and enjoy the pleasure on their faces as they express sincere gratitude and excitement at something I helped to create. 

My mother was a fantastic baker and when I was growing up my brother and I would spend hours and hours in the kitchen busy copying her baking recipes. We would prepare a cake batter together, make an obnoxious mess about it and my brother would secretly putting green food coloring so it would come out green and blue when baked. Some of my happiest memories are helping my brother bake in the kitchen. 

I really want to bake cupcakes again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment